Message from the Chair:
2016 was the launch of our re-branding to the alberta aviation council as depicted in our new website www.albertaaviationcouncil.com.
The website provides an update on our activities and articulates the pursuit of our renewed vision to be the voice of aviation in Alberta. As we are an organization that is largely dependent on its membership, this letter also has the important message to current and potential members to sign up for 2017.
We have succeeded in achieving some momentum but need the support of all associated, directly or indirectly, with aviation to keep it going. Some important updates are listed below:
• ADVOCACY is one of the main functions of the Alberta Aviation Council. In this regard our Chair is connected to the Strategic Transportation Advisory Council to the Minister of Alberta Transportation. Other Board members have important connectivity in their networks to advance the interests of aviation in Alberta.
• Government Aviation Strategy - The AAC continues to work with industry and the Alberta Government to complete a study on an Aviation Strategy for Alberta over the long term. Among other things, the well-known deficiencies for keeping our smaller and regional airports up to requirements in sustaining and new capital developments should be a key feature.
• Aerospace – AAC Committee Chair is a member of the AIAC Technology and Innovative Committee, which has developed terms of reference as well as a list of action items. The future of unmanned systems is included.
• Alberta Air Facilities Map – This valuable tool will be updated in 2017.
• Education and Sponsorship – Progress continues on the development of a designated occupation for a UAV Maintenance Technician. Utilizing funds from a 2017 Casino fundraiser the scholarship program will be revitalized.
With the support of our Board and membership, I look forward to the challenge of working with you and your organization to help keep the voice of aviation in Alberta strong and successful.
Chair, Board of Directors
Alberta Aviation Council